Join IRSC and PBS for the Great American Read
Indian River State College (IRSC) has been awarded a grant from the Florida Humanities Council to host programs around The Great American Read, an eight-part Public Broadcast Service (PBS) television series that celebrates the joy of reading and the books Americans love.
PBS conducted a national survey to discover America’s 100 best-loved books. This list of books forms the basis for the program. The novels will be featured in the episodes and Americans are encouraged to read the books and vote for their favorite. The top book as chosen by The Great American Read participants will be announced during the Grand Finale episode airing in late October.
To involve the Treasure Coast in this national program, IRSC in partnership with the St. Lucie County and Indian River County library systems and the Fielden Institute for Lifelong Learning, will host five free events that are open to the public through November. The public is invited to attend “watch parties” to view episodes, enjoy refreshments and vote for their favorite books in the national poll, as well as a local poll to find IRSC’s favorite novel. Additionally, The Great American Read Debate will feature IRSC professors making the case for their favorite books on the list.
The full event schedule is as follows:
- Fall Kick Off Watch Party (Indian River County), September 21, 2:30 p.m., in the Bjorkman Room at the Brackett Library on Mueller Campus in Vero Beach
- Fall Kick Off Watch Party (St. Lucie County), September 24, 1:30 p.m., in Room 110 of the Kight Center for Emerging Technologies on Main Campus in Fort Pierce
- Great American Read Debate, October 11, 3:00 p.m., in Room 110 of the Kight Center for Emerging Technologies on Main Campus in Fort Pierce
- Grand Finale Watch Party (St. Lucie County), October 30, 1:30 p.m., in Room 110 of the Kight Center for Emerging Technologies on Main Campus in Fort Pierce
- Grand Finale Watch Party (Indian River County), November 9, 2:30 p.m., in the Bjorkman Room at the Brackett Library on Mueller Campus in Vero Beach
At any time during The Great American Read, locate special displays at the Miley Library in Fort Pierce, the Brackett Library in Vero Beach or the Pruitt Campus Library in St. Lucie West to cast your vote for your favorite novel and to check out some of the books from the list.
Funding for this program was provided through a grant from the Florida Humanities Council with funds from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this program do not necessarily represent those of the Florida Humanities Council or the National Endowment for the Humanities.