PSL & School District offers outdoor facilities at Southern Oaks Middle School
PORT ST. LUCIE – Residents and visitors can now enjoy the sports field and outdoor basketball courts at Southern Oaks Middle School on weekends and after school as a result of a partnership between the City and St. Lucie Public Schools.
The after-hours use of the select facilities at Southern Oaks Middle School, 5500 SW St. James Dr., is part of the City’s pilot program with the school district to find ways to utilize school sites for expanded open-space recreational opportunities in Port St. Lucie. In 2017, certain outdoor areas at Bayshore Elementary School, 1661 SW Bayshore Blvd., opened for the public’s use after school hours.
The public can now use the outdoor basketball courts and multi-purpose field, which features soccer goals and baseball backstop, at Southern Oaks Middle School from 6 p.m. to sunset on school days. On non-school days, the public can use these areas from 8 a.m. to sunset. No restroom facilities are currently available during the hours of expanded recreation use.
Visitors are asked to please take note of signs that are posted in these areas regarding the following conditions:
- All use is at your own risk.
- The School District reserves the right to close public use of any part of the property at any time.
- Loud, abusive or threatening language or behavior is prohibited.
- Possession or use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs are prohibited.
- Access to school facilities outside the designated areas is prohibited.
- Please help keep area clean by using trash cans for all waste.
- Neither the City nor the School District are responsible for lost, damaged or stolen personal property.
- Anyone on school property after sunset is trespassing and may be prosecuted.
- All School District rules governing the property apply.
- All City rules governing the use of City recreation facilities apply (see Chapter 96, City Code).
The use of outdoor basketball courts, multi-purpose field and playground near the basketball courts at Bayshore Elementary School also is still open for public use from 6 p.m. to sunset on school days and 8 a.m. to sunset on non-school days.
The City of Port St. Lucie is proud to be a hometown where people live, learn, work and play, and celebrate all of life’s opportunities. With over 189,000 residents, Port St. Lucie is Florida’s eighth largest city by population (South Florida’s 3rd largest city). The City occupies an area of 120 square miles in St. Lucie County on Florida’s east coast, about 50 miles north of West Palm Beach, half way between Miami and Orlando. The City provides most traditional municipal services including law enforcement, water and sewer, and public works. For more information, please visit: www.cityofpsl.com